Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by iamjagman on 2012-01-21, 01:32

I was unable to find a list of what mental disorders are being included, but I believe that and extreme case of ADD/ADHD would be a very good one. I myself have ADD and I find it detriments my life in a number of ways, including socially (ADD people tend to be introverts while ADHD people tend to be extroverts), grade wise (with my ADD, i take in the information wonderfully, I just tend to lose/not do the homework and not do the classwork as my mind wanders. I don't know about ADHD in this case), and lastly, all people I know with ADD and ADHD are EXTREMELY technologically friendly.

Just a friendly suggestion Very Happy

-jag

Note: this is using renpy just like KS does, correct? Just out of curiosity.

iamjagman

Posts : 2
Join date : 2012-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Worthington on 2012-01-21, 01:57

You couldn't find a list because there is no list as yet. We're in the midst of finalizing right now.
Also, yes, we most likely are using Ren'Py.
avatar
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 399
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 22
Location : Vancouver, Canada (PST)

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-02, 13:55

ADHD here, as I've already mentioned before. And, as I've said in the same place, with all due respect I do not think that this would be a very good idea. It simply doesn't "compare", you know? Even very extreme ADHD (and I take doses of Atomoxetine twice per day so massive you could use them to assassinate someone...) is just not in the same scale as the things you think about when someone says "Mental Disorder".

Just like a main KS heroine probably wouldn't have worked with something like tinnitus (wheres Shizune is deaf) or a limp (wheres Emi has no legs), I think ADHD simply wouldn't cut it for the drama value wheres other characters have problems that are actually serious.

A minor character with severe ADHD who refuses to take his medications, though? Lots of potential for hilarity.
avatar
Gloom

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 24
Location : Israel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-02, 23:37

I think treating any disorder in a comedic light would destroy the entire point we're trying to make.
avatar
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 399
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 22
Location : Vancouver, Canada (PST)

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Astartus on 2012-02-03, 06:58

I agree with Worthington here. While we might have comic relief characters, they would be entertaining or spirit-lifting because of their personality, not their disorder. I also, personally, believe that it's not fair to rate disorders by their gravity against each other - everyone has their package to bear, and while some people might find it easy to carry, for others it might be heavy enough to collapse.
avatar
Astartus
Admin
Composer

Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-01-19
Age : 31
Location : Germany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-03, 09:39

Are you really sure we are all prepared and willing to gaze into the philosophical abyss of where the line is drawn between "personality" and "disorder"? Especially when concerning things like ADHD. I mean, if a character with ADHD is always late, or if their room is always disorganized, or if they keep jumping from subject to subject during a conversation, would you say that these are symptoms of their disorder, or aspects of their personality? Is there a difference at all? Can there be? Should there be?

The essence of this question is one of the greatest and most controversial in the field of psychology, more than just for the sake of the spirit of the matter. When a medicine like my Atomoxetine lessens the "symptoms" of ADHD, would you say that this is, effectively, a suppression of my personality? Would you say that it's bad?

As for the second point, I find it a troublesome approach. While the "difficulty", so to speak, of living with any sort of condition (physical or mental) is of course subjective, the same can be said about just about everything, and the world doesn't function like that. There's a reason you don't get government welfare for being mildly near-sighted. Even if you happen to consider your mild-nearsightedness a huge deal, and even if your blind friend never even thinks about their own blindness, the fact remains that objectively (as far as objectivity can exist in the situation) they are more "disabled" than you are, legally and realistically.

I understand what you are trying to say, but for me to claim that ADHD is comparable to serious issues like severe depression feels like a person who was born without a pinky finger complaining about it to a person who was born without arms. I find it uncool.

But then, this is just my opinion, and the argument itself is bound to be interesting and enlightening whatever the conclusion turns out to be.

avatar
Gloom

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 24
Location : Israel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-03, 12:16

It's definitely a tricky question to grapple with.
avatar
Waytfm

Posts : 246
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-04, 00:36

Gloom wrote:Are you really sure we are all prepared and willing to gaze into the philosophical abyss of where the line is drawn between "personality" and "disorder"? Especially when concerning things like ADHD. I mean, if a character with ADHD is always late, or if their room is always disorganized, or if they keep jumping from subject to subject during a conversation, would you say that these are symptoms of their disorder, or aspects of their personality? Is there a difference at all? Can there be? Should there be?

The essence of this question is one of the greatest and most controversial in the field of psychology, more than just for the sake of the spirit of the matter. When a medicine like my Atomoxetine lessens the "symptoms" of ADHD, would you say that this is, effectively, a suppression of my personality? Would you say that it's bad?

As for the second point, I find it a troublesome approach. While the "difficulty", so to speak, of living with any sort of condition (physical or mental) is of course subjective, the same can be said about just about everything, and the world doesn't function like that. There's a reason you don't get government welfare for being mildly near-sighted. Even if you happen to consider your mild-nearsightedness a huge deal, and even if your blind friend never even thinks about their own blindness, the fact remains that objectively (as far as objectivity can exist in the situation) they are more "disabled" than you are, legally and realistically.

I understand what you are trying to say, but for me to claim that ADHD is comparable to serious issues like severe depression feels like a person who was born without a pinky finger complaining about it to a person who was born without arms. I find it uncool.

But then, this is just my opinion, and the argument itself is bound to be interesting and enlightening whatever the conclusion turns out to be.

Oh god it's going to be so much fun with you here Gloom. Get like, Mirage and G3n and the rest over here too, okay?

Anyway, personality is tied to but not rooted to your disorder. I'm twitchy, introspective, moody, philosophical, and sometimes very off-kilter; is this tied to my disorder? Perhaps, but my personality is also separate from it. Our disorders are a big part of who we are, but it's not all of us. To use yourself as an example, Gloom, you're wordy, erudite, self-effacing, and prone to starting large philosophical debates, and were smart enough to learn English better than a lot of native speakers (although, you are Jewish). That doesn't really seem tied to your ADHD in any way.

Also, as for differences in disorders, your pinky analogy is maybe not the best one. I'd compare it to a guy with a plum lodged in his rectum to a guy with an apple lodged in his rectum. Sure, same broad category of fruit lodged in rectums, but with wildly different effects that can be equally as bad depending on severity and the person which can't really be compared to each other.
avatar
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 399
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 22
Location : Vancouver, Canada (PST)

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-04, 01:54

Worthington wrote:Also, as for differences in disorders, your pinky analogy is maybe not the best one. I'd compare it to a guy with a plum lodged in his rectum to a guy with an apple lodged in his rectum. Sure, same broad category of fruit lodged in rectums, but with wildly different effects that can be equally as bad depending on severity and the person which can't really be compared to each other.

Shocked That was the most beautiful analogy I've ever heard. Sad
avatar
Waytfm

Posts : 246
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by encrypted12345 on 2012-02-04, 02:17

Waytfm wrote:
Worthington wrote:Also, as for differences in disorders, your pinky analogy is maybe not the best one. I'd compare it to a guy with a plum lodged in his rectum to a guy with an apple lodged in his rectum. Sure, same broad category of fruit lodged in rectums, but with wildly different effects that can be equally as bad depending on severity and the person which can't really be compared to each other.

Shocked That was the most beautiful analogy I've ever heard. Sad

Seconded. Words of wisdom like that really convince me that you guys know what you are doing.

encrypted12345

Posts : 22
Join date : 2012-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (extreme cases)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum