Mental Disorders that Would Work in Mentaru Shoujo

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mental Disorders that Would Work in Mentaru Shoujo

Post by Waytfm on 2012-01-29, 16:52

So, I was bored yesterday and I just started herpderping through Wikipedia's list of mental disorders. My first thought was a lot of them are just be impossible to implement. So i want to see what sorts of disorders us non-devs think would work best in a VN setting. Devs, feel free to iterate exactly why our ideas are stupid.

So these are the mental disorders I think could be effective in a VN: Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Dissociative identity disorder (Split Personalities), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Those are what came to mind after a preliminary brainstorming session. Anyone else have any better ideas?

EDIT: Neutral Here's the link to the list of Mental Disorders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

Last edited by Waytfm on 2012-01-29, 17:41; edited 1 time in total
Waytfm

Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mental Disorders that Would Work in Mentaru Shoujo

Post by Smokey on 2012-01-29, 17:20

Including the link to the list would probably be helpful, by the way. Wink
Smokey
Admin
Editor
jak oph al hsrāds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by citrus on 2012-01-29, 20:45

Unfortunately, the main characters have already been mostly decided. It irritates me that we couldn't have incorporated a broader range of conditions, however. Thanks for your time, all the same.
citrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-01-29, 20:52

edit: sorry I hit the wrong button and edited your post instead of quoting Sad I'm on a mission to find a log function to restore your post! Mad Apologies X1,000
-Merc

edit by Waytfm: It's fine, You can go ahead and keep it around. It'll be nice evidence to show that the Devs aren't infalliable Cool

What I had said (more or less) was: "I'm sorry for the confusion. This thread was more about giving us non-devs something to speculate about. It's mostly just for our own amusement.

Last edited by Waytfm on 2012-01-29, 21:35; edited 1 time in total
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MK.Mercury on 2012-01-29, 21:09

Don't let the sourness of the citrus (get it? Very Happy ) spoil your thread, even if we have a lot ironed out, some genius may have an idea we entirely missed even with our many brains. So go forth and brain! And if nothing else, it makes for interesting discussion!

And: Sorry for sanitizing the above reply, working on a fix! No
MK.Mercury
Admin
Composer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by citrus on 2012-01-29, 21:22

MK.Mercury wrote:Don't let the sourness of the citrus (get it? Very Happy ) spoil your thread

What are you getting at?
citrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-01-29, 21:32

MK.Mercury wrote:Don't let the sourness of the citrus (get it? Very Happy ) spoil your thread, even if we have a lot ironed out, some genius may have an idea we entirely missed even with our many brains. So go forth and brain! And if nothing else, it makes for interesting discussion!

And: Sorry for sanitizing the above reply, working on a fix! No

It's all cool. No hard feelings about the oppressive regime the Devs have become. Silencing all who oppose them!!! Very Happy

I think OCD could work rather well. Going off of the concept art, I don't think that an idea, but I could be far behind the times here. Has OCD been accepted/rejected/looked at?
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MK.Mercury on 2012-01-29, 21:43

citrus wrote:
MK.Mercury wrote:Don't let the sourness of the citrus (get it? Very Happy ) spoil your thread

What are you getting at?

Citrus = Family of fruit consisting of among others, lemons and oranges, which are known to be sour Wink

Waytfm wrote:Has OCD been accepted/rejected/looked at?

Suffice to say, if it exists it has been looked at Smile Though I don't believe I could tell you more without being tracked down and sacrificed to the god of oblong sea creatures drunken
MK.Mercury
Admin
Composer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Astartus on 2012-01-29, 21:46

I think we can safely say that we looked at a lot of things, and while we are in a process of narrowing it down, the only things we really rejected full-out are disorders and disabilities that make the character unfit to consent or completely impossible to be in a relationship with.
Astartus
Admin
Composer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-01-29, 21:48

MK.Mercury wrote:
citrus wrote:

What are you getting at?

Citrus = Family of fruit consisting of among others, lemons and oranges, which are known to be sour Wink

Waytfm wrote:Has OCD been accepted/rejected/looked at?

Suffice to say, if it exists it has been looked at Smile Though I don't believe I could tell you more without being tracked down and sacrificed to the god of oblong sea creatures drunken

You are no sacrifice worthy of Cthulhu :suspicion:
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Popo on 2012-02-01, 22:02

Borderline personality disorder.

-Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
-A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
-Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
-Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, eating disorders, binge eating, substance abuse, reckless driving).
-Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
-Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
-Chronic feelings of emptiness
-Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
-Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms

Popo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokey on 2012-02-02, 01:21

I've always liked the idea that a character had "doubles delusion"
Smokey
Admin
Editor
jak oph al hsrāds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-02, 01:50

Smokey wrote:I've always liked the idea that a character had "doubles delusion"

Kenji bro. All the Kenji. Razz (It wouldn't overly surprise me if they had included something like that for him.)

I love this Cracked.com article. It goes into some lesser known mental disorders.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19369_the-6-most-mind-blowing-ways-your-brain-can-malfunction.html

Most of them aren't really "good" for Mentaru Shoujo, but they're definitely interesting. It also mentions Prosopagnosia, which someone on the board actually has.
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Astartus on 2012-02-02, 06:08

I guess that would be me, I got a very severe case of face blindness (beneath other disorders). Just keep in mind that we want to make absolutely sure that our characters are not deluded, mentally backward or otherwise unable to fully, 100% consent to a relationship, so some of these disorders would probably be out...
Astartus
Admin
Composer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-02, 06:11

Astartus wrote:I guess that would be me, I got a very severe case of face blindness (beneath other disorders). Just keep in mind that we want to make absolutely sure that our characters are not deluded, mentally backward or otherwise unable to fully, 100% consent to a relationship, so some of these disorders would probably be out...

I know. They are interesting to learn about though.
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolabee on 2012-02-02, 13:56

OCD? I think it would be good too raise awareness about the other forms intead os juts being really organised

chocolabee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolabee on 2012-02-02, 13:57

OCD? It would be good to raise awareness about the different forms instead of just the stereotypical "need to clean" form seen on tv

chocolabee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-02, 14:07

chocolabee wrote:OCD? It would be good to raise awareness about the different forms instead of just the stereotypical "need to clean" form seen on tv

Yeah, I thought it could be interesting to do.
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-02, 14:09

I just find it amusing that the post about OCD was immediately re-posted with a minor correction.
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-02, 14:10

Gloom wrote:I just find it amusing that the post about OCD was immediately re-posted with a minor correction.

Laughing
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tweeguy on 2012-02-03, 08:21

Eating Disorder man. Full blown bulimia or anorexia would totally work in a game like this. It's a very damaging behavior that has a lot of facets to it and is spurred by much deeper causes that could be explored throughout the character's route.

Also some sort of autism-spectrum disorder perhaps? The characters difficulty understanding the world around them could make for a great route and character.

tweeguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by encrypted12345 on 2012-02-03, 11:46

tweeguy wrote:Eating Disorder man. Full blown bulimia or anorexia would totally work in a game like this. It's a very damaging behavior that has a lot of facets to it and is spurred by much deeper causes that could be explored throughout the character's route.

Also some sort of autism-spectrum disorder perhaps? The characters difficulty understanding the world around them could make for a great route and character.

Eating disorder would be interesting, and those in the autism spectrum still have a high emotional capacity even if they can't convey it well. Just please don't do Asperger's.

encrypted12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-03, 12:13

encrypted12345 wrote:Eating disorder would be interesting, and those in the autism spectrum still have a high emotional capacity even if they can't convey it well. Just please don't do Asperger's.

What's wrong with Asperger's?
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Genero6 on 2012-02-03, 14:02

I'd personally say full blown bulimia or anorexia might be too serious. It's a critical issue that can't really be worked into a story without trivializing the problem or creating a rather depressing path. A less severe case as part of more general issues would be good, but not as the focus of the character design.

Genero6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by encrypted12345 on 2012-02-03, 14:52

Waytfm wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:Eating disorder would be interesting, and those in the autism spectrum still have a high emotional capacity even if they can't convey it well. Just please don't do Asperger's.

Asperger's is a really touchy subject. It's over diagnosed and it affects the quality of a person's life so minimally that many people don't consider it a mental disorder. They have a little trouble adapting to social situations, but that trouble can be overcome with practice. That and Asperger's syndrome as a diagnosis may cease to exist. More info here

It's more of a personality type than anything else.

encrypted12345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Genero6 on 2012-02-03, 15:28

Although the symptoms aren't so scary on their own, Aspergers can still be damaging in the long run. Growing up with communication difficulties can screw up social development, and misunderstanding the condition can turn out bad; half my childhood I was being called a genius, the other half a retard. Unsurprisingly, I didn't really get on with society in general.

I do get a little sick of it these days though, so I wouldn't exactly cry if it didn't make the cut, but if it does, try looking at it another way. It's become so popular so fast that many people know it but don't know what it actually entails, so it would be a good chance to educate the player on something they are reasonably likely to encounter in their life. It would be relatively minimal, but it would probably be better to use minimal conditions that are just enough to distinguish them from regular characters than to go for something severe and choose between writing an unappealing story or misinform the player on the reality of living with serious conditions.

Genero6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deadleaves on 2012-02-03, 18:25

encrypted12345 wrote:
Waytfm wrote:

Asperger's is a really touchy subject. It's over diagnosed and it affects the quality of a person's life so minimally that many people don't consider it a mental disorder. They have a little trouble adapting to social situations, but that trouble can be overcome with practice. That and Asperger's syndrome as a diagnosis may cease to exist. More info here

It's more of a personality type than anything else.

I believe its my first post in the public section, but I have to point out that you're wrong. I think trying to pinpoint a Asperger's spectrum from an individual case is wrong, and saying it affects the life minimally is a generalization. Take it from someone who knows.

Have a nice day, and thank you for supporting the game.
deadleaves
Admin
Medical Consultant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-04, 03:56

What about Antisocial Personality Disorder? Surely not all of them are serial-killers in the making.

Oh! And that gives me another idea: obsessive stalkers, not played for laughs or creepiness. Way, way too few works actually consider the fact that stalkers are often deeply disturbed people unto themselves, for whom "stalking" isn't the problem, but the symptom for something deeper. I think some serious exploration of the subject might be nice.
Especially interesting might be someone who is self-conscious about this. They know that they are borderline (or not borderline) worshipful towards someone they cannot have, and they know that they are acting irrationally, and that it's bound to end in misery for all involved, but they just can't help it. And as soon as they get kicked out one obsession's attic, they inevitably find someone new to follow.
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-04, 20:49

Gloom wrote:What about Antisocial Personality Disorder? Surely not all of them are serial-killers in the making.

Oh! And that gives me another idea: obsessive stalkers, not played for laughs or creepiness. Way, way too few works actually consider the fact that stalkers are often deeply disturbed people unto themselves, for whom "stalking" isn't the problem, but the symptom for something deeper. I think some serious exploration of the subject might be nice.
Especially interesting might be someone who is self-conscious about this. They know that they are borderline (or not borderline) worshipful towards someone they cannot have, and they know that they are acting irrationally, and that it's bound to end in misery for all involved, but they just can't help it. And as soon as they get kicked out one obsession's attic, they inevitably find someone new to follow.

I feel like that's the entire plot to Hey Arnold Razz

I don't think ending "in misery for all involved" is the path we want to go down. It would be interesting to do, but I don't think this is the genre to explore it. It would make for a good tragedy, or even a bad ending in a VN, but I think that would be the extent to which it could be carried.

Last edited by Waytfm on 2012-02-04, 20:51; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had more to say and only realized it after I pressed send)
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-05, 13:48

Well, I never said it'd work for a main character, it's just an interesting idea...

Other things I came up with:

Paranoid schizophrenia, not played for laughs this time. Less "Let me show you my anti-Feminist bunker" and more "I think people are talking about me behind my back. I'm certain people are talking about me behind my back. People hate me. Everybody hates me, but they always lie to me. Everybody is lying to me. You're lying to me. Go away! Why do you hate me?!"

Insomnia. Serious, hardcore, "Holy shit I haven't slept in a week and I can't tell the difference between dream and reality anymore", needs-horse-tranquilizers-to-get-a-nap insomnia.

Explosive anger issues. You had this guy in elementary school who acted completely normal, but every once in a while he'd flip the hell out and throw a desk at someone while screaming like a demon? This guy.
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Astartus on 2012-02-05, 15:29

Wow, you really have some very good ideas going there, guys! Of course I can't tell anything about what we've already planned so far, but it's very nice to see that much support and input Smile
On a similar note - that "Let me show you my anti-Feminist bunker" thing was also a thing that really bugged me about KS, the mental disorder being played for laughs - well, the whole CHARACTER being played for laughs. I think even side characters deserve a personality. xD
Astartus
Admin
Composer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-05, 16:08

Astartus wrote:Wow, you really have some very good ideas going there, guys! Of course I can't tell anything about what we've already planned so far, but it's very nice to see that much support and input Smile
On a similar note - that "Let me show you my anti-Feminist bunker" thing was also a thing that really bugged me about KS, the mental disorder being played for laughs - well, the whole CHARACTER being played for laughs. I think even side characters deserve a personality. xD

To be fair, he did get a moment of shining glory.

I like the Insomnia idea. That actually seems really interesting.
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-06, 12:56

Astartus wrote:Wow, you really have some very good ideas going there, guys! Of course I can't tell anything about what we've already planned so far, but it's very nice to see that much support and input Smile

I see that being said around here a lot, and truth be told, I'm a little concerned about it. Don't get me wrong, the last thing I think people should be doing here is making fun of the subject matter for the sake of it (especially since the subject matter here is kids with problems), but it sometimes seems to me as if there's a general fear around here that the line between "intelligent and professional observation of the matter" and "childish, offensive low-brow gagfest" is way thinner than it actually is.

I love funny characters. I love funny moments in stories. Moreover, I think that in all but the most serious of stories (maybe even them), funny characters and moments- Comic Relief, in fact- they are all but essential for it to work properly. It may take a little skill to create a situation involving those elements that is funny without being offensive, but it's far from impossible.

Did KS become a childish and offensive gagfest because there were moments where Kenji's eyesight was made fun of? Or Rin's lack of arms? I don't think so. And I also don't think that a character stops being serious, or human, or full if you cast it in a silly light once in a while. The exact opposite, in fact: many times, it's exactly those little moments of silliness, or the discovery of funny little character quirks in which I believe characters are at their most human. For me, the moment in which I truly started liking Lilly as a character rather than a game objective wasn't when she was being the archetypal princess in the tea room: it was when she admitted to liking the color white because it's the color of vanilla ice-cream.

Real humans are sometimes silly. Real humans are sometimes funny. Not all the time, not offensively, but to pretend that they aren't only hurts them as characters. In fact, I think that to handle the subject matter with silken gloves like this, to deliberately take great pains in order to avoid putting any of the "damaged/disabled/deranged" characters in a silly light because it might be offensive is just as offensive as making fun of them in the first place. In both cases, at the core of the behavior is condescension. Is it right to laugh at "normal" people, but not right to laugh at people with problems? Why? Because they can't defend themselves? Because it's not their fault? Go far enough down that line and suddenly you treat disabled people like poor, fragile flowers who have to be defended and tended to, and as a certain girl with facial scarring has taught us, this is exactly what you shouldn't be doing.

So... yeah. Basically, Kenji Setou is an extremely good example of how you do a comic relief character that still manages to remain interesting and lovable on it's own right, without hurting the atmosphere of the game one little bit.

And as for the subject of the thread: more ideas for interesting mental disorders that can be attached to major or minor characters. Probably minor if at all, since I'm under the impression that most of the major characters are pretty much set in stone by this point in the development process.

Body Dymorphia: Great disorder both for comic relief and for dead serious discussions of some very interesting concepts, from the meaning of self to the nature of consciousness. From the mildly weird ("I am a woman trapped in the body of a man") to the slightly off-putting ("I am a wolf trapped in the body of a man") to the horrifically disturbing ("I am a wolf-spider trapped in the body of a man")

Nymphomania: Did you finish cringing? Good. The fact that you cringed is exactly the reason that this might be interesting. KS was a deconstruction of many things, and one of those things was romantic visual novels. So here's another idea for a deconstruction: when reading most visual novels, people sort of assume that no matter how they present themselves, ultimately, all characters are (as someone put it a few years ago on the KS forums) "cock-hungry sluts". Not only is it not a problem, it's a boon. And not only is it a boon, it's a boon so common that some people might get disappointed to discover that a girl in a VN doesn't get wet-enough-to-fill-buckets (OH, NASU, YOU) as soon as the MC takes his shirt off.
And it's not just in visual novels. In real-life, people often talk about nymphomania as if it is, if not something desirable, at least funny. Think about all of those shitty comedies.
So guess what? It's a real problem, and it can very well and often does turn the life of otherwise normal people into a living hell. It can be the result of psychological trauma, a neurochemical imbalance or even physical damage to the brain (one famous case had a woman who developed nymphomania after suffering from a stroke).
This character isn't just perpetually horny. They're as addicted to sex as an alcoholic is to alcohol- perhaps even more so. And just like the alcoholic, they may be keenly aware of the fact that this addiction is destroying their lives, and they cannot control it. And for all the fun people make of it, when it really comes down to it, it's a lot less socially acceptable than being an alcoholic! You tell your friends that you're an alcoholic, you might get anything between pity and compassion. You tell you're friends you're nymphomaniac, they're either going to laugh your ass off or be creeped as hell.
Did you have that girl in highschool who lost all of her friends after someone spread a rumor about he she "gives"? The one who suddenly turned into a "slut"? a "whore"? Boys tried to exploit her, girls made fun of her, teachers harassed her and her parents punished her. Now imagine that this wasn't just a rumor, and it was a thousand times worse. This girl is literally, pathologically driven to have sex with people. All the time. With everybody. Even people she hates. Even people who repulse her. She goes around with condoms in her wallet and by the end of the day she's out.
Or for the matter, imagine a boy in this situation. He might actually be in even a worse a bind. Nobody is even going to believe that he has a problem! In today's cynical world, especially when youth culture is concerned, it's assumed that all boys are, by default, sex obsessed animals. Nobody is going to offer him help- after all, he's just a normal boy with poor impulse control! He doesn't deserve help, he's a monster!

What do you think?

Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-06, 15:10

Hmm. I think Nymphomania would actually make for a very interesting story. As far as I know, all of the characters are finalized, but I think Nymphomania would make for a very emotional story. If the Devs need a new character for some reason, I think Nymphomania would be a very interesting option.

Thinking about it a little more, there is a question about consent. I know the devs made sure that consent wouldn't be an issue with the characters they chose, but I still think it could be worked around. Maybe the MC and the girl don't actually have sex, or if they do it's before the MC knows about the girl's condition. Something like that.

I really want to write about this type of character now.... So I think I will. The new fan work board seems lonely, so I might try to contribute something to there in a couple of days.
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Astartus on 2012-02-06, 16:19

Gloom, very interesting idea you have there with the Nymphomania. I really like your approach, and I fullheartedly agree to your analysis of the disorder, even if I don't have own experiences with people who have it. We shall see. :3
About the Kenji thing: I'm sorry if I came across as trying to pull the fun out of things. Of course there need to be funny scenes, and comic relief scenes and all that, and I am very certain there will be. No story can work with constant Oh-tha-drama and no lighthearted scenes. The thing bothering me about Kenji was that he was just displayed as the likeable idiot, with the liking mostly consisting of pity. The problem was not that some of his scenes made fun of him or made him look silly - the problem was ALL of his scenes did. It was a constant, eye-rolling, "That Kenji again" feeling, without actually ever exploring the REASONS for his delusions and other problems (besides being tired after coitus, but... seriously?) I just think that Kenji had a lot of potential as a plot twist when taking him SERIOUSLY for a minute, looking behind his ramblings about world conspiracies and mind spies and whatnot and looking at the human, not the nutjob, behind the mask of the paranoid Harry-Potter-cosplayer. But KS never does that, not even in the Kenji arc itself; Kenji always stays the comic relief sidekick that is benevolently pitied and smirked at, and I feel like this kind of destroy his credibility as a personality, and therefor his character.
Astartus
Admin
Composer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-06, 17:38

It really gets to me that we can't have all the disorders Sad
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-06, 18:55

Worthington wrote:It really gets to me that we can't have all the disorders Sad

Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by myshoesarebrown on 2012-02-06, 22:21

Worthington wrote:It really gets to me that we can't have all the disorders Sad

At first I read this as "It really gets to me that we can't all have the disorders Sad ".

Amazing how the mere flipping of two words completely changes the meaning of the sentence...
myshoesarebrown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-07, 13:23

Is not being real considered a disorder? Because it just occurred to me that if the MC really does have severe schizophrenia, it wouldn't be completely unbelievable for at least one character to be eventually revealed as a figment of his imagination. Hell, write it well enough and you might end up with some Fight Club level awesome-moment-of-holy-fuck-it-was-so-obvious-this-is-brilliant.

Or don't even try to hide it. Need a comic relief character, but without making a human character less believable? That comic relief character is some random spawn of the MC's broken mind, and they know it, and the MC knows it, and I can already imagine a few hilarious conversations this could result in. Especially if they take place in public, since obviously nobody else can see the imaginary person.
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokey on 2012-02-07, 13:30

Gloom wrote:Is not being real considered a disorder? Because it just occurred to me that if the MC really does have severe schizophrenia, it wouldn't be completely unbelievable for at least one character to be eventually revealed as a figment of his imagination. Hell, write it well enough and you might end up with some Fight Club level awesome-moment-of-holy-fuck-it-was-so-obvious-this-is-brilliant.
You mean like...A Beautiful Mind?
Smokey
Admin
Editor
jak oph al hsrāds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-07, 14:52

We could get to the end and find out one of the main characters was dead all along affraid
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by myshoesarebrown on 2012-02-07, 18:56

Waytfm wrote:We could get to the end and find out one of the main characters was dead all along affraid

THE main character was dead. The whole game is his memories flashing before he dies in a car wreck, right next to his lover(whoever he got with during the game).

Dead is a disorder. Both physically and mentally.
myshoesarebrown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-07, 20:21

myshoesarebrown wrote:
Waytfm wrote:We could get to the end and find out one of the main characters was dead all along affraid

THE main character was dead. The whole game is his memories flashing before he dies in a car wreck, right next to his lover(whoever he got with during the game).

Dead is a disorder. Both physically and mentally.

Holy shit! Do you know how epic that would be??? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Waytfm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-07, 23:54

You guys do know that schizophrenics don't have visual hallucinations (open eye ones, anyway)?
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-02-08, 05:15

Worthington wrote:You guys do know that schizophrenics don't have visual hallucinations (open eye ones, anyway)?
Apparently not.

TheLastMelody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HeDanny on 2012-02-08, 16:45

Worthington wrote:You guys do know that schizophrenics don't have visual hallucinations (open eye ones, anyway)?

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on this question for me, please? I only ask as suffer from schizophrenia and have experienced what I, and those caring for me, would describe as visual hallucinations.

Last edited by HeDanny on 2012-02-08, 17:46; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
HeDanny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-02-09, 04:30

HeDanny wrote:

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on this question for me, please? I only ask as suffer from schizophrenia and have experienced what I, and those caring for me, would describe as visual hallucinations.

That you have schizophrenia does not necessarily mean that you can't have anything else that the docs or shrinks did not notice. That's what happened to me.

TheLastMelody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HeDanny on 2012-02-09, 11:27

While that certainly could not be ruled out, I'd certainly hope that after so many years someone would have noticed something. Smile

So you suffer as well? And they found something else? That's messed up! How long did it take if you don't mind my asking? Of course feel free to tell me it is none of my business, because clearly it is not. I also apologise if asking the question is inappropriate. I mean no disrespect, I am simply curious.

I appreciate this response, however it did not really answer the question I was trying to ask. That may be my bad. I'll try again as I may not have been clear. Why do you believe that People who suffer from schizophrenia do not experience Visual Hallucinations?

I would also not mind rearing a response from Worthington on this matter as well. If you could chip in it would be appreciated.
HeDanny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-09, 15:21

HeDanny wrote:

M'bad, I meant to reply but it slipped my mind. In reference to paranoid schizophrenia, the disorder does not cause visual hallucinations. Delusions can make you think things are there, but they're not real hallucinations. I don't know about other types of schizophrenia, but this is just what my shrink has told me. Mostly it's audial hallucinations, for paranoid schizophrenics at least (A Beautiful Mind was inaccurate in it's portrayal).
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-09, 15:27

Worthington wrote:
HeDanny wrote:

M'bad, I meant to reply but it slipped my mind. In reference to paranoid schizophrenia, the disorder does not cause visual hallucinations. Delusions can make you think things are there, but they're not real hallucinations. I don't know about other types of schizophrenia, but this is just what my shrink has told me. Mostly it's audial hallucinations, for paranoid schizophrenics at least (A Beautiful Mind was inaccurate in it's portrayal).

There are many types of schizophrenia. Although admittedly most visual hallucinations are a lot less intricate than this. More like "HOLY FUCK IS THAT A BLACK DOG LOOKING AT- never mind, it's gone now."
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top