General Musings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Musings

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-04, 02:14

Sometimes I have thoughts I need to get out of my head, and this is one of those times. This should actually be a little warning for the kind of bullshit you'll have to put up with when we have a blog running.

Have you ever had a moment where you realize why you do what you do? In my case, it's writing. I have an artistic soul, but no artistic capability. I manage to stay sane by writing, which is the only thing I'm moderately good at. The thing is, I can never pin down why I write. I never have motivation or patience. Working in a group helps, but only to a certain extent.

A few days ago, I realized why I write. As I was walking home from the bus, I saw a sunset. This wasn't the first sunset I've ever seen, in fact I see one every day. Due to the sunlight hours where I live and the fact that I generally get home late from a long bus ride, i'm usually too preoccupied to notice it. But there it was, this glorious explosion of colours, blending from red to pink to orange to yellow, these warm loving hues fading over "Heaven's High Arch" (Beowulf- translation. Burton Raffel), fading into the distance like some surreal abstractionist painting. The clouds were gathering in the west where the sun was setting, causing the light to reflect off of every nook and contour of the clouds, giving them depth. It was a sea of warm mountains drifting by in the sky.

'The sun may rise in the east but at least it settles in a fine location,' (Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers)

The rays hit the windows of the houses around me and my attention is drawn earthwards. The light playfully dances off of each house, kissing them goodbye. The street with its lamps arching and framing the scene, the cars strewn irregularly across the street, the hummingbird that flies down to nestle into a nearby bush. The scene is perfect, not because of the aesthetic beauty, but because of how alive the entire world feels around me. I've never noticed something so beautiful, yet so seemingly trivial, in my life in such great detail. It depresses me. Almost. The whole moment is too captivating to allow for any self-pity, too joyous to allow for anything other than optimism. There, in the middle of the street, I begin to cry.

Any words I ever write will never capture that moment, nor do it justice. I write to get my head clear, but now I also write to tell people something. None of you will ever experience that moment as I did, but maybe, I can make you feel a fraction of what I felt. Because, maybe, some things are amazing enough to be worth telling. Because, maybe, if we can share those moments of joy in our lives, those indelible moments of wondrous emotional triumph that make us human, we can all become better people.

Because, maybe, I love all of you guys, and I want you all to understand how I feel.

Cheers, and here's to a happy tomorrow.
-Worthington

Last edited by Worthington on 2012-02-04, 02:53; edited 1 time in total
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General Musings

Post by imperial.standard on 2012-02-04, 02:28

Good to know you found a great reason / purpose on why you write Worth. It's an epiphany I would ever pay the price in the whole world to know since I have yet to find my answers - I love drawings and no matter what I always get back to drawing but I have yet to find WHY I draw...
imperial.standard
Admin
Artist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-04, 02:46

It's certainly a noble cause. Moments like those happen so rarely, so taking the time to spread them, to whatever measure you can, is something to be lauded. I might not understand exactly what that moment was like, but I think I can understand the emotions you felt through the writing. That in and of itself, I think, is every bit as profound. It makes me think there is always more beauty to found, and more moments such as that one to be sought after.

And don't sell writing short. It is just as much of an art as anything. Words can weave a spell of emotion unlike anything else to me. I've never been brought to tears because of a picture or a song, but I have from writing. I think writing has a power to share emotion and human experience that is lost on a lot of other art forms. So write, for there is no better way to change the world.
Waytfm

Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-02-06, 05:40

Ahhh, the big question "why?".
Nice to see someone actually svolving it.

TheLastMelody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QbertEnhanced on 2012-02-15, 12:11

Great to see you come to some peace mate.
Hopefully this helps you clear up your head, its good to get your feelings out there.
QbertEnhanced
Admin
Programmer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Malkav on 2012-02-20, 21:31

Worthington wrote:Any words I ever write will never capture that moment, nor do it justice. I write to get my head clear, but now I also write to tell people something. None of you will ever experience that moment as I did, but maybe, I can make you feel a fraction of what I felt. Because, maybe, some things are amazing enough to be worth telling. Because, maybe, if we can share those moments of joy in our lives, those indelible moments of wondrous emotional triumph that make us human, we can all become better people.

Because, maybe, I love all of you guys, and I want you all to understand how I feel.

Cheers, and here's to a happy tomorrow.

This is precisely why I write and compose music, my good sir. You've done a service to me and others in expressing this thought--this feeling--so eloquently.
Malkav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top