The Wanna Be a Writer Club

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Wanna Be a Writer Club

Post by MrBackpack on 2012-02-15, 18:57

from the "how did you find out about this project" thread, this is the WBWC.

Like many others here I want to be a writer on this project, but I was too late to join up and/or be selected for a position.

I have a bachelor's degree in English with a teaching certification, and I do know that my Internet grammar doesn't show the training, it's the Internet and no one's perfect.

I'm not the most talented writer, I have a mixed background in various fandoms/fanfictions, I have participated in "National Novel Writing Month" for the past couple of years, both times to the completion, and I have written a complete novel that I am taking a break from my attempts to get it published.

I want to see what the backgrounds are for the other writers on here that did not get selected for the dev team.

Shameless self-promoting: I can beta, help with ESL writers, or as a sounding board for ideas.

study
MrBackpack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Wanna Be a Writer Club

Post by myshoesarebrown on 2012-02-15, 19:53

I've never been with any game project on the internet -- nor am I asking to be on one -- though I have observed a few.

This isn't meant as an insult to any one here, just a general observation from various places. Sometimes, when an indie game or project is looking for help, dozens upon dozens will sign up to be a writer. It's as if, someone wants to help, but has no real game development skills... and thinks being a writer will be easy. I'd guess that the position of writer has a lot more appliers than, say, graphics and sound.

Not like I have any game development skills. Or even writing skills, for that matter. After all, I said before I am Useless Annoying Forum Member.

I believe a lot of people underestimate the job of a writer. Some people seem to believe it's the easiest available job in making a game. I don't know if it is or not. It might be the easiest -- in comparison to other positions. However, this does not mean the job itself is easy.

I imagine in a game like a FPS, the writing wouldn't be the most important part. Not insulting FPS games either. For the most part, the writing just isn't what most people play them for. But in a Visual Novel, the writing is going to be one of, if not the most important part.

Some people will remember the graphics more, yes. Some people may only play the game for fap material(assuming MS is an eroge. I honestly have no clue anymore). Allow me to make comparisons to KS. I mean, we aren't sick of comparing everything to THAT yet, are we?

In brief, people liked KS because of the emotions that were invoked within themselves while playing. This was not a result of the artwork alone. This was not a result of the music alone. It damn well wasn't the gameplay. It was the writing. The art and music amplified the emotions, but if the writing wasn't good, it's not like it was going to fall back on pretty pictures and sounds.

Again, I've no experience or skills. I'm not attacking any person either. I'm just saying, based on my observations, the writing position in general seems to be underestimated.

This post was originally going to be one sentence...

Mr.Backpack wrote:I have a bachelor's degree in English with a teaching certification, and I do know that my Internet grammar doesn't show the training, it's the Internet and no one's perfect.

I'm a senior in high school, and have always loved literature and writing. Throughout my junior year I was convinced I was going to major in English once I got into college. I'm still tempted to, but I have the fear: What could I do with it? I don't want to become a teacher. I've thought about becoming a librarian, but that requires a different degree, if I recall correctly. Could I get your opinion on the matter?

For now, I believe I'll probably just continue studying literature just as a hobby, but I'd love your thoughts.

Last edited by myshoesarebrown on 2012-02-15, 19:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the reply to Mr Backpack)
myshoesarebrown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBackpack on 2012-02-15, 20:28

myshoesarebrown wrote:
<snip>

Mr.Backpack wrote:I have a bachelor's degree in English with a teaching certification, and I do know that my Internet grammar doesn't show the training, it's the Internet and no one's perfect.

I'm a senior in high school, and have always loved literature and writing. Throughout my junior year I was convinced I was going to major in English once I got into college. I'm still tempted to, but I have the fear: What could I do with it? I don't want to become a teacher. I've thought about becoming a librarian, but that requires a different degree, if I recall correctly. Could I get your opinion on the matter?

For now, I believe I'll probably just continue studying literature just as a hobby, but I'd love your thoughts.

I'm going to address your initial comment, that I edited out for sake of space, but I DO understand the amount of work, pain, sweat and tears that goes into writing a story such as the one that the revs are undertaking. I spent the better part of my college career writing that damn novel and I'm still no where with it, being shot down for the same reasons that I thought and was told that it was great...

Now your second point: keep it is a hobby, do something that will land you a job that you can earn money with.

Edit: sorry if I sound bitter and cynical

Last edited by MrBackpack on 2012-02-17, 03:05; edited 1 time in total
MrBackpack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-16, 13:45

Most stunningly indelicate, though of remarkable conviction. The argument itself is not without merit as a concept, if only as a catalyst for an enlightening exchange of forceful opinions dangerously likely to end in offense.

When I mentioned my so called regret on the other thread, I believed that it was obvious enough that my intention was merely to jokingly express a petulant frustration the blame for which rests solely upon my shoulders and personal fate (if such things are of concern to you). It is said that the nature of regret is to hurt not for what has happened, but for one's "fantasy", so to speak, of what could have. And while it might feel therapeutic to drown myself endlessly in an illusion of comforting self-importance, to pretend that, should the bones have fallen differently, my "talents" or effort would have won praise or love, or that I myself would recognize the supposed accomplishment, but that would be a self-destructive act, and without purpose or benefit.

Because I recognize the truth of the matter: all has happened as it should have. "All is from above", say the faithful, but one needs not be religious to realize that as often as not, the way things are is by its very existence the way things should be. Talent? We all have an eye for it, and of the little I know of the current team, each and every one of them is more talented than I am when it comes down to it. Efforts? Even when I was able to, I could not push myself into making them as I should have: I am a weak-willed person.

Illusions of having been able to truly benefit from a different past often shatter in the face of objective reality: if I have had to bring proof of so called "talent", what would I have to show for it, in the end? A couple dozen short stories in Hebrew? A few crude pieces of fanfiction that I've never managed to finish? Unlike the thread opener, I cannot even claim to having a degree in this light. All my knowledge of literature amounts to hours spent on TVtropes, and all my knowledge of English to whatever I could learn from books and movies.

So many people are interested in being writers because so many people are interested in contributing to the project in any way they can, and through pure statistics, for most of them it is through writing. Drawers and musicians are hard to come by, but virtually any person who can use an internet forum, by definition can read and write. The same applies for me, I am aware of that, and so I am aware of the futility of going this way on this pure technicality. I could claim to be an artist, too: stick figures are funny. But my writing, for the sake of this metaphor the literary equivalent of stick figures, would have no place in a serious VN, which, as wiser people than I have already mentioned, rise and fall upon the quality of their writing.

Would I refuse if I was suddenly offered a writing position? Probably no: I am, as I've already mentioned, a weak willed person, and faced with such an opportunity would almost certainly let my pride get the better of me. Would it be for the best? Probably not.

Some people possess true inspiration and the ability to channel it into art: they are blessed. Others possess only one of those: they are cursed. Those who have only the former are doomed to madness, those who have only the later, to a hollow, desperate stagnation.

I am content with having neither, and being willing to share what little I have.
Gloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeymuffin on 2012-02-16, 16:58

I think everyone who's posted in this thread so far could do an admirable job of writing a path in a VN like this one.

I'm of the opinion that excellent writing can arise without even a whiff of a degree or diploma. At first all you need is the technical skill; the grammar and paragraph structure and whatnot. This can honestly be picked up anywhere if you don't remember every little thing from high school. Razz

Secondly it's all about adding to your pool of vocabulary, and learning to arrange it in an easy-to-follow, (but unique!) way. This is the hardest part, and it will never be perfected... But I also think that the ideal way to build this up is to expose yourself to stories constantly, which can easily be done without great financial investment or higher education.

Third is that same niggling detail that fouls up every pursuit you could imagine; hard work and organization. This is where I fail as a writer, and worst of all, this is the hardest skill to build up if you're a disorganized creative-type by nature.

That's my summary of how to be a good creative writer, and while I can't speak for the third item I think you three show ample knowledge of the first two criteria. Don't downplay your abilities just because you never took a post-secondary English course - think of it as having never suffered through the stifled groupthink of a full university course, and that you therefore maintain greater uniqueness in your writing abilities. XP

That's how I reconcile the fact that I've never taken such a course anyway, and yes, it DOES help me sleep at night! Very Happy
Honeymuffin
Admin

View user profile http://mentarushoujo.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBackpack on 2012-02-16, 20:02

Honeymuffin wrote:I think everyone who's posted in this thread so far could do an admirable job of writing a path in a VN like this one.

I'm of the opinion that excellent writing can arise without even a whiff of a degree or diploma. At first all you need is the technical skill; the grammar and paragraph structure and whatnot. This can honestly be picked up anywhere if you don't remember every little thing from high school. Razz

Secondly it's all about adding to your pool of vocabulary, and learning to arrange it in an easy-to-follow, (but unique!) way. This is the hardest part, and it will never be perfected... But I also think that the ideal way to build this up is to expose yourself to stories constantly, which can easily be done without great financial investment or higher education.

Third is that same niggling detail that fouls up every pursuit you could imagine; hard work and organization. This is where I fail as a writer, and worst of all, this is the hardest skill to build up if you're a disorganized creative-type by nature.

and I agree with you 100%, I just mentioned the fact that I have a degree to lend myself a bit of credibility.

That's my summary of how to be a good creative writer, and while I can't speak for the third item I think you three show ample knowledge of the first two criteria. Don't downplay your abilities just because you never took a post-secondary English course - think of it as having never suffered through the stifled groupthink of a full university course, and that you therefore maintain greater uniqueness in your writing abilities. XP

That's how I reconcile the fact that I've never taken such a course anyway, and yes, it DOES help me sleep at night! Very Happy

Yup. For anyone going into college, take the required English courses, and never look back, you don't need to go through that kind of torture.

Also, I do think that anyone can be a writer, you just need practice, a willingness to work hard, long hours, be able to take the harshest criticism, and then, after all that, be able to go back to your computer/notebook and start writing again.

EDIT: totally unrelated to this thread, but Honeymuffin I love your avatar
MrBackpack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HeDanny on 2012-02-16, 21:59

The reason I mentioned I was miffed at not knowing about this project sooner was derived almost completely from a lost chance to be a part of its development. I'm not all that cut up about it. Yeah, sure I kicked myself a bit when I first found the boards but now I'm just glad to be around and watch it all happen from here.

Besides, just because I (and you) missed the development boat with this one does not mean you still can't play a part here.

It also certainly does not mean you can't do something, anything else. Hell if you wanted you could probably grab Ren'Py and start your own VN. Some of you could even get together from here to work, just as this project started from KS. Its not all together unrealistic.
HeDanny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-17, 02:30

HeDanny wrote:The reason I mentioned I was miffed at not knowing about this project sooner was derived almost completely from a lost chance to be a part of its development. I'm not all that cut up about it. Yeah, sure I kicked myself a bit when I first found the boards but now I'm just glad to be around and watch it all happen from here.

Besides, just because I (and you) missed the development boat with this one does not mean you still can't play a part here.

It also certainly does not mean you can't do something, anything else. Hell if you wanted you could probably grab Ren'Py and start your own VN. Some of you could even get together from here to work, just as this project started from KS. Its not all together unrealistic.
Getting here late sucks, but it's good just to hang around here. The non-dev forums have really gotten fun. Very Happy

And, if I had a feasible idea for a VN, I would start one. I've toyed around with some ideas, but they're not good.
Waytfm

Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBackpack on 2012-02-17, 02:39

Waytfm wrote:
And, if I had a feasible idea for a VN, I would start one. I've toyed around with some ideas, but they're not good.

same here
MrBackpack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-17, 02:54

The people with the best fanworks get put on my watch list, in case we ever need new writers.
Just saiyan'
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kosherbacon on 2012-02-17, 02:57

MrBackpack wrote:
Waytfm wrote:

same here

Here's one from me and Imperial. Gongfu Shoujo, a fantasy martial arts dating sim that takes place in an imperial China-esque setting. All the path girls have different fighting styles, including erotic acupuncture, flying guillotines, and one-armed boxing.

Also, rooftop ninja sex.
kosherbacon
Admin,
Writer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBackpack on 2012-02-17, 03:03

Worthington wrote:The people with the best fanworks get put on my watch list, in case we ever need new writers.
Just saiyan'

Shocked

kosherbacon wrote:
Here's one from me and Imperial. Gongfu Shoujo, a fantasy martial arts dating sim that takes place in an imperial China-esque setting. All the path girls have different fighting styles, including erotic acupuncture, flying guillotines, and one-armed boxing.

Also, rooftop ninja sex.

I lol'd
MrBackpack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBackpack on 2012-02-17, 03:09

removed

sorry imperial.standard

Last edited by MrBackpack on 2012-02-17, 03:19; edited 2 times in total
MrBackpack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by imperial.standard on 2012-02-17, 03:15

MrBackpack wrote:
I figured that I would post this here, since this is the WBWC.

NO

Post in your own thread UNDER fanworks. It will be easier to keep your works on watch and not clutter it in one thread. What if you plan to do continuation?

imperial.standard
Admin
Artist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by splitInfinitive on 2012-02-22, 10:07

Not so much a writer, but wouldn't mind being a consultant for certain mental issues, from a personal perspective instead of the clinical.
splitInfinitive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top