Why Mentaru Shoujo?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by CrimsonStylus on 2012-02-27, 10:52

Hi everyone! I've been hearing Mentaru Shoujo for awhile now and it seems a lot of the KS regulars have been checking this out and I'm no different. The idea is great and quite a novelty. It's now about Mental-Disabilities which is something I personally have an interest with. I am confident that the devs will pull this off but what I want to know about is what the readers think. What is it that makes you want to read Mentaru Shoujo?

In my case, I'm going to read it because of my fondness in psychological genres. The concept of the mind is just too good to pass up and is just ripe with possibilities and plot twists that won't seem to be too much of an ass-pull on the writer's part.

avatar
CrimsonStylus

Posts : 2
Join date : 2012-02-27
Location : In the land of Consumerism

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-02-27, 11:37

CrimsonStylus wrote:Hi everyone! I've been hearing Mentaru Shoujo for awhile now and it seems a lot of the KS regulars have been checking this out and I'm no different. The idea is great and quite a novelty. It's now about Mental-Disabilities which is something I personally have an interest with. I am confident that the devs will pull this off but what I want to know about is what the readers think. What is it that makes you want to read Mentaru Shoujo?

In my case, I'm going to read it because of my fondness in psychological genres. The concept of the mind is just too good to pass up and is just ripe with possibilities and plot twists that won't seem to be too much of an ass-pull on the writer's part.

So far, the only thing that makes me want to read this is because the concept seems good, the art looks fabulous so far AND the devs seem to rock.
Therefore, I shall follow this project until the end!! (Ether mine or the project's)

EDIT:
Tell me, why can't I quote the stuff in the white lines?

TheLastMelody

Posts : 143
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : The Binary Field of Ar Tonelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by neumanproductions on 2012-02-27, 11:41

My strong reason to see this take form is because of its background. Spawned from those who have had exposure to KS I want to see in which direction there are able to take this after basically I think everyone has had exposure to the KS cast. To me when it comes to reading any visual novel or seeing a anime or manga series is looking at the directors/writters/authors/companies for a particular style in some sense. When I watch an anime by J.C. Staff I have a general feeling on what i'm going to see and get out of it. Same comes from a visual novel by Jast, NAVEL, or Key where I can get a general idea of what to expect and what gets put into a project...personally I like Jast's works.

So with this, I expect KS caliber work but i'm not impartial to not take into account the speed that comes out of this.
avatar
neumanproductions

Posts : 6
Join date : 2012-02-14
Location : A land of endless winter and cheese

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by imperial.standard on 2012-02-27, 12:10

neumanproductions wrote:
So with this, I expect KS caliber work but i'm not impartial to not take into account the speed that comes out of this.

So are we going too fast or too slow? Wink
avatar
imperial.standard
Admin
Artist

Posts : 650
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 35
Location : Jakarta, Indonesia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Zarich on 2012-02-27, 13:42

For me, I like different things. What originally drew me to KS was the fact that it was different and pushed some bounderiew. MS is doing the same thing, pushing bounderies by being a Mental Disorder VN and I already have High Hopes. Granted to really push it it sort of has to do some different bounderies. Like, I have high functioning Autistic friends who are totally normal. Stuff like ADHD (and I guess to a certain extent, minor depression) is becoming too prevelent (what with the current video game mentality of this new generation and other stuff) that really to be sucessful you need stuff like DID or a Savant Heroine (Not like Kim Peek Savant or so) to actually be interesting and actually work as a Mental Disorder VN.
Besides the fact that MS is growing, I want to see how it develops.
avatar
Zarich

Posts : 62
Join date : 2012-02-26
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Genero6 on 2012-02-27, 13:53

Being diagnosed with Aspergers left me interested in how people cope with different (and more severe) conditions, so I'm hoping to learn something from both the game and the discussion it's already kicking up. That's really just a bonus though, KS wasn't a great VN on the subject of physical disabilities, it was simply a great VN, so if these devs can maintain that level of quality it'll be well worth following this project.

Genero6

Posts : 21
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Xadier on 2012-02-27, 17:31

Psychology interests me, I'm hoping MS can pull off what KS did with making people realise there are people behind these disorders.


Last edited by Xadier on 2012-02-28, 02:47; edited 1 time in total

Xadier

Posts : 9
Join date : 2012-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by myshoesarebrown on 2012-02-27, 19:23

I do not have any profound reason. In fact, I have no connections to psychological disorders at all. I don't have any(that I know of) and nobody I know has any(that I know of). I barely have any knowledge on most disorders as well. I know the names of several, but do I know what they are? Nope.

My main reason for keeping up with MS is because it sounds interesting. It's really that simple. It's different. I may hate the final product. The odds say I will. I've tried several VNs. The only one I could ever stick with was KS, for some reason.

Another factor, though not as large, is because of how many people seem to hate this project as soon as they hear of the premise. "VN about mentally disabled girls? Oh my god, that means there's going to be all this porn and disgusting fetishes and the writers obviously can't avoid it and it's terrible and insensitive and shigglydigglymiggly". Obviously, keeping up with the project and playing the final product will show them who's boss. Obviously.
avatar
myshoesarebrown

Posts : 32
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Xadier on 2012-02-27, 19:37

[quote="TheLastMelody"]
CrimsonStylus wrote:I hope our hero has hallucinations and psychopathic tendencies. It'll make the story moar interesting .

From my understanding the main character is going to have a mild form of schizophrenia, you realise schizophrenia has nothing "psychopathic tendencies"? Even in severe cases. The rare occasions there is an act of violence is because the person is acting like anyone else would in that situation. If someone feels their life is being threatened and is scared, they will try to defend themselves. Keep in mind though, these cases are rare, in the US alone 1% of people have SZ (that's 2.5 million people, so if they all had psychopathic tendencies there would be a lot more serial killers on the loose, which most murderers appear to be mentally healthy people who have a stable life) This is one of the biggest misconceptions of the disorder and one reason why stigma is still so rampant when it comes to the disorder, because people believe the mentally ill are something to be feared.

Statistically more people with schizophrenia are the victim of violence, not the other way around. The average mentally healthy human causes more acts of violence than the mentally ill. It just really bothers me people still believe people like me have urges to murder people, i barely have the courage to go into crowds or meet new people, my main interest is learning to make new friends which my partner of four years has really helped me with and I can't deny so far a few people I've gotten to know over long periods of time where I've never once acted even slightly threatening to once they find out they have stopped being my friend due to misconceptions like this.

Just because someone acts a little different doesn't mean they're a threat, they're still a person with feelings.


Last edited by Xadier on 2012-02-27, 19:44; edited 1 time in total

Xadier

Posts : 9
Join date : 2012-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-27, 19:43

Xadier wrote:
CrimsonStylus wrote:I hope our hero has hallucinations and psychopathic tendencies. It'll make the story moar interesting .

From my understanding the main character is going to have a mild form of schizophrenia,

Just remember that that information comes from the old concept art. Just going from what has been released already, quite a bit has changed since then. We really won't know what the main character's disability is until it's released. Which will be soon hopefully.
avatar
Waytfm

Posts : 246
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Xadier on 2012-02-27, 19:45

Waytfm wrote:
Xadier wrote:
CrimsonStylus wrote:I hope our hero has hallucinations and psychopathic tendencies. It'll make the story moar interesting .

From my understanding the main character is going to have a mild form of schizophrenia,

Just remember that that information comes from the old concept art. Just going from what has been released already, quite a bit has changed since then. We really won't know what the main character's disability is until it's released. Which will be soon hopefully.

Even so, no matter what the main character winds up having SZ or not, it just bothers me when people think that way about the mentally ill. But thanks for letting me know it may have changed.

Xadier

Posts : 9
Join date : 2012-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Waytfm on 2012-02-27, 20:21

Xadier wrote:Even so, no matter what the main character winds up having SZ or not, it just bothers me when people think that way about the mentally ill. But thanks for letting me know it may have changed.

I don't know if it has or not, a lot of stuff has though. The main character could still very well have SZ. I agree with everything you've said though. That's one of the things I'm hoping to see out of this project.
avatar
Waytfm

Posts : 246
Join date : 2012-01-26
Age : 24
Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by CrimsonStylus on 2012-02-27, 22:50

Xadier wrote:Even so, no matter what the main character winds up having SZ or not, it just bothers me when people think that way about the mentally ill. But thanks for letting me know it may have changed.

Oh, sorry if it seemed like it but I'm not saying that every person with a mental illness is suddenly a soulless killing machine. I know some people with troubles in this area. I have a cousin with Down Syndrome and a sister diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. I know very well how hard they're trying to cope with their disabilities.

I am hoping that the main character has such tendencies as to bring a little twist midway or in the end of the story for each path. And no, I'm not hoping the hero becomes a killer. Very Happy
avatar
CrimsonStylus

Posts : 2
Join date : 2012-02-27
Location : In the land of Consumerism

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Zarich on 2012-02-27, 23:08

CrimsonStylus wrote:I know some people with troubles in this area.

Wait...You know some people that are Soulless killing machines? I worry about your safe-being now. Oo

To go on the SZ topic, I have a friend that has SZ along with DID, and for the most part he gets around normally. He is just sort of weird in a way. Again, in terms of Social Normality, he is regular, even when not on his meds.
avatar
Zarich

Posts : 62
Join date : 2012-02-26
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-28, 01:26

I've actually been accused of being a psychopath because of my schizophrenia. Curse you, media portrayal!
I'm just a sociopath!
avatar
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 399
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 22
Location : Vancouver, Canada (PST)

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Zarich on 2012-02-28, 01:37

Worthington wrote:I've actually been accused of being a psychopath because of my schizophrenia. Curse you, media portrayal!
I'm just a sociopath!

"I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research."

On Another note, I interject, the Media does play it that basically any sort of Mental Illness turns you into a Psychopath, hence giving people the media's portrayals and believing everything, like the little sheep they are.

Incidentally enough, just how the media portrays every pedophile as a Child molester. Every CHild Molester is a Pedophile but not all Pedophiles are Child Molesters. Incidentally enough aprox. 4% of the world population has some sort of pedophilia and it is estimated at 4-5% of the world population is gay. Really the Media can portray anything they want into something and the mindless sheep that is a majority of the population with TVs will believe it (mainly talking to you, a good amount of Americans). But enough of my Radical Conspiracy Theory Ranting Aside, I've gone off-topic. In conclusions, the disorders you think do something, happen to a certain amount of people, they just get on the news more often.
avatar
Zarich

Posts : 62
Join date : 2012-02-26
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by myshoesarebrown on 2012-02-28, 01:49

Zarich wrote:Words

I'm getting a strong Liberal Crime Squad vibe here... we gonna take down the cable station for some ELITE LIBERAL JUSTICE?
avatar
myshoesarebrown

Posts : 32
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : Oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Worthington on 2012-02-28, 02:07

myshoesarebrown wrote:
Zarich wrote:Words

I'm getting a strong Liberal Crime Squad vibe here... we gonna take down the cable station for some ELITE LIBERAL JUSTICE?
Hide Hamadyne! Quick!
avatar
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 399
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 22
Location : Vancouver, Canada (PST)

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Zarich on 2012-02-28, 02:36

That is just the Social San Franciscan Side of me....I don't bother with Politics 'cus it is a hassle. But if you must, I"m more Conservative than Liberal, but more Libertarian than Authoritarian. But like I said, I don't bother with Politics as it is annoying, my views are my views your views are your views. People can get along just as long as they don't shove a bible down my throat.
avatar
Zarich

Posts : 62
Join date : 2012-02-26
Location : San Francisco, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheDaftStudent on 2012-02-28, 02:39

Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
avatar
TheDaftStudent
Admin
Community Manager

Posts : 54
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 26
Location : Rivesville, West Virginia

View user profile https://twitter.com/#!/Crossingframes

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Leotrak on 2012-02-29, 06:21

TheDaftStudent wrote:Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
Fun bit: I only learned of the turtles bit yesterday Razz

To answer the OP: Bacon invited me, I stuck around Razz Besides, this stuff looks interesting enough thusfar Smile
avatar
Leotrak

Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-02-21
Age : 31
Location : Your Mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-02-29, 15:58

Leotrak wrote:
TheDaftStudent wrote:Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
Fun bit: I only learned of the turtles bit yesterday Razz

To answer the OP: Bacon invited me, I stuck around Razz Besides, this stuff looks interesting enough thusfar Smile
Turtles? Did I miss something?

TheLastMelody

Posts : 143
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : The Binary Field of Ar Tonelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Gloom on 2012-02-29, 17:00

TheLastMelody wrote:
Leotrak wrote:
TheDaftStudent wrote:Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
Fun bit: I only learned of the turtles bit yesterday Razz

To answer the OP: Bacon invited me, I stuck around Razz Besides, this stuff looks interesting enough thusfar Smile
Turtles? Did I miss something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

It's a well known phrase.
avatar
Gloom

Posts : 94
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 24
Location : Israel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-02-29, 18:32

Gloom wrote:
TheLastMelody wrote:
Leotrak wrote:
TheDaftStudent wrote:Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
Fun bit: I only learned of the turtles bit yesterday Razz

To answer the OP: Bacon invited me, I stuck around Razz Besides, this stuff looks interesting enough thusfar Smile
Turtles? Did I miss something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

It's a well known phrase.
If I don't know it, it is most likely a well known one. (I'm always the last one to learn about that atuff XD)

TheLastMelody

Posts : 143
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : The Binary Field of Ar Tonelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Malkav on 2012-02-29, 23:26

TheLastMelody wrote:
Gloom wrote:
TheLastMelody wrote:
Leotrak wrote:
TheDaftStudent wrote:Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
Fun bit: I only learned of the turtles bit yesterday Razz

To answer the OP: Bacon invited me, I stuck around Razz Besides, this stuff looks interesting enough thusfar Smile
Turtles? Did I miss something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

It's a well known phrase.
If I don't know it, it is most likely a well known one. (I'm always the last one to learn about that atuff XD)

I think that I, like LastMelody, have just learned something new today.

Also, I've fallen in love with stories like Saya no Uta, Angel Beats, and The White Chamber, so Mentaru Shoujo--with its emphasis on distortions of mind and perception--sounds like it would be right up my alley.
avatar
Malkav

Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 28
Location : Illinois

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by kosherbacon on 2012-03-01, 11:07

Why MS?

I was told there'd be punch and pie here.
avatar
kosherbacon
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 270
Join date : 2012-01-16
Age : 33
Location : /k/alifornia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-03-01, 12:33

kosherbacon wrote:Why MS?

I was told there'd be punch and pie here.
I thought U foound BACON,

TheLastMelody

Posts : 143
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : The Binary Field of Ar Tonelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Hagon on 2012-03-02, 11:37

TheLastMelody wrote:
kosherbacon wrote:Why MS?

I was told there'd be punch and pie here.
I thought U foound BACON,
Bacon is more in KS if you see what I mean.

Yeah yeah, i'm a monster.
avatar
Hagon

Posts : 10
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Malkav on 2012-03-02, 13:36

Hagon wrote:
TheLastMelody wrote:
kosherbacon wrote:Why MS?

I was told there'd be punch and pie here.
I thought U foound BACON,
Bacon is more in KS if you see what I mean.

Yeah yeah, i'm a monster.

*sigh* Obligatory.

avatar
Malkav

Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 28
Location : Illinois

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Arivien on 2012-03-04, 20:12

I'm going to read this for quite a common reason.

I loved Katawa Shoujo, and really wanted more of it. Therefore, a project done by fans that explores an entirely new world sounds amazing.
Katawa Shoujo inspired me to go out and read even more VNs. It was a really important game to me, putting me in a bit of a funk after finishing it, especially due to Rin's path.
Hopefully Mentaru Shoujo could inspire me the same way, eliciting many emotions just as Katawa Shoujo did.

I'm really excited for this game, guys. The art looks amazing and the characters so far are great.
Don't drop the project...like...ever.
avatar
Arivien

Posts : 6
Join date : 2012-03-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-03-05, 04:30

Arivien wrote:I'm going to read this for quite a common reason.

I loved Katawa Shoujo, and really wanted more of it. Therefore, a project done by fans that explores an entirely new world sounds amazing.
Katawa Shoujo inspired me to go out and read even more VNs. It was a really important game to me, putting me in a bit of a funk after finishing it, especially due to Rin's path.
Hopefully Mentaru Shoujo could inspire me the same way, eliciting many emotions just as Katawa Shoujo did.

I'm really excited for this game, guys. The art looks amazing and the characters so far are great.
Don't drop the project...like...ever.
I second, third, fourth, fifth and so on, that!!!! cheers cheers

TheLastMelody

Posts : 143
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : The Binary Field of Ar Tonelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Worthington on 2012-03-05, 04:33

lol hey guys sorry project cancelled lol bounce tongue Rolling Eyes
avatar
Worthington
Admin,
Writer

Posts : 399
Join date : 2012-01-15
Age : 22
Location : Vancouver, Canada (PST)

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by TheLastMelody on 2012-03-07, 05:00

Worthington wrote:lol hey guys sorry project cancelled lol bounce tongue Rolling Eyes
Nooooooooo............
pale pale pale pale pale pale

TheLastMelody

Posts : 143
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : The Binary Field of Ar Tonelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Solipsistic-MeatBag on 2012-03-21, 18:19

Malkav wrote:
TheLastMelody wrote:
Gloom wrote:
TheLastMelody wrote:
Leotrak wrote:
TheDaftStudent wrote:Why MS?
Because it's turtles all the way down.
Fun bit: I only learned of the turtles bit yesterday Razz

To answer the OP: Bacon invited me, I stuck around Razz Besides, this stuff looks interesting enough thusfar Smile
Turtles? Did I miss something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

It's a well known phrase.
If I don't know it, it is most likely a well known one. (I'm always the last one to learn about that atuff XD)

I think that I, like LastMelody, have just learned something new today.

Also, I've fallen in love with stories like Saya no Uta, Angel Beats, and The White Chamber, so Mentaru Shoujo--with its emphasis on distortions of mind and perception--sounds like it would be right up my alley.
I believe I've just found myself another comrade! Indeed, gradual deterioration of the psyche is one of my favorite varieties of character-development!
Worthington wrote:lol hey guys sorry project cancelled lol bounce tongue Rolling Eyes
I've smelled far less conspicuous trolls.
avatar
Solipsistic-MeatBag

Posts : 38
Join date : 2012-03-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Mentaru Shoujo?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum