How to write Fan Fiction?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to write Fan Fiction?

Post by Al Capwned on 2012-03-17, 20:51

I'm not sure if this is correct going here, if it is not could it be moved to somewhere where it is proper.

I have never written a fanfic EVER, so I was wondering about how to go about doing so. I guess a better way to state that is how does one write fan fiction?

Al Capwned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to write Fan Fiction?

Post by SemiPolish on 2012-03-17, 21:18

Drop acid and get inspired.

But on a serious note, I've never written fan fiction personally. What I do when I write a short story or creative essay (less leg room in the latter) is start with a small web to get my thoughts down on paper. Otherwise, I tend to go off on tangents and fail to get around to whatever I'm aiming for (some moral implication or life conundrum). A consolidated visualization of my flow of logic helps streamline my writing and stay on course. Perhaps some others can give some insights on the specifics of fan fiction?
SemiPolish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waytfm on 2012-03-17, 21:59

Hopefully I can be of a little help here. I'm not the best writer, so take anything I say with a grain of salt (and possibly some tequila)

Once you have your basic premise (I can't really help you with getting your basic premise. Sorry) Try and plan out a basic outline of how you want the entire story to go. I usually try and figure out what the climax would be first, since that's what you're building up to. Once you have a logical idea of how you want the entire story to go, start writing. Don't worry about the quality, just get something out. (I normally don't physically write here though. I mostly just pace around for an hour or so talking to myself, trying to hammer out the first scene.) Once you have that rough draft, imaginary or not, start really writing your first scene.

With this draft, focus on good writing. Don't obsess over it, since that's what editing and revision is for, but certainly try and avoid common bad writing habits. Make believable characters. Give them a personality scheme, and stick to it. Take Andrea in my fanfic that up right now. All I did with her is portray her as I pictured her acting on a first date. Try and figure out what the characters mindset is and them make them act appropriately.

Make sure you include a lot of sensory detail. Try and picture the scene in your head, then try and picture it from the reader's point of view, based on what you have described. You should include enough detail to be able to approximate that original image. This includes character actions and whatnot.

On the subject of character actions, use them. If you can show the reader, don't tell them. For example: "I watched the thug swing the bat with wide eyes as my heart struggled and fought to escape my chest." I think that this is better than: "I was nervous as I watched the thug swing the bat." So try and show the reader what the character is feeling instead of flat-out telling them.

Don't bog down the story with details or dialogue though. Once again, in my own fanfic, when Andrea and the MC are in the coffee shop, I skip quite a bit of dialogue. I did this for two reasons. First and foremost, I didn't want to write it out. I'm lazy. But secondly, I didn't think it would be important enough for the reader to care about. Try and keep the story interesting. If you're bored writing it, the reader will almost certainly be bored reading it. Include only what the story needs. If you jam in a lot of unimportant dialogue or details, it will bog down quickly.

Also, avoid repetition, whether it be in words, phrases, actions, etc. Once again, take Andrea for example. She sticks her tongue out a lot. This is something that really bothered me, even when I was still drafting. The only reason I kept it was because I couldn't really think of an alternative. I based a lot of her actions off of friends in real life. In real life, my friend very well might stick their tongue out that often. That doesn't make it good for writing though. Once I do think of an alternative, I plan to ninja-edit my original post.

Once you think you have a realistic story that's detailed enough, and is fun and interesting to read. Put it up. Let it sit for a while. Stephen King commonly puts his manuscripts in drawer for 6 weeks before reading it again. You don't have to go that for, but you should try and separate yourself from your story. After a while, read it again. That should make it easier to spot what is boring or bad to read. Edit what sucks and repeat the process if you're still not feeling that it's ready yet. It also helps to get someone else to read it. Someone who is fresh to your story will certainly be able to tell you what is bad to read. Don't dismiss what they say either. You don't have to necessarily bow down to their every whim, but at least seriously consider their suggestions. That goes for any sort of criticism you receive. Even if someone's just shitting on you, examine what they say, they might be on to something.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. There are still much more capable writers here, so you should listen what they have to say. You'll probably get more out of them.

-Soseki

SemiPolish wrote:"WTF is Voldemort doing with a freezy pop in his nose?"
Waytfm

Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarich on 2012-03-17, 23:54

Yeah, Fanficcing is nit as easy as I thought it was.
For me, the one in the fanworks section of mine was my first fanfic, hell it was mu first time doing a non Sci-fi or Fantasy work. Really in this case, think up of characters, plots and themes. Write out the plot, for me I write out like 5 ticks, at one fourth of the ticks, someone big has to haooen, same again with 3/4s in the way. Each tick as to be written out 1-5 pages and should advance the story. I might be being a little vague.

Of a newborn century? - Eppur Si Muove
Zarich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samuraiter on 2012-03-18, 15:10

Cool

The best advice I can give you after over a decade as a 'ficcer? This: Do not overthink it. Ask yourself what it is you want to try writing, then write it and see what you get. You might surprise yourself.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Capwned on 2012-03-18, 17:55

Thanks for the responses, I'll try to write a fan fic, since I have an idea, but I don't know if I'll start it or finish it because of school and all.

Al Capwned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top