The Character descriptions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Character descriptions

Post by Hunner on 2012-03-26, 00:12

Hello, new here.

I'm really excited for MS and I can't wait to read it. Cool

I have a slight peeve however about the character descriptions, I'm not trying to be a ass or anything so pardon me but, I think the development behind the character is to exposed. Take Annaliese Koell for example: Instead of having all this stuff about her laid out on the table for everyone to see. What's the point of reading the VN I mean look at this:

"Anna is a native of Vienna, and has never left the city. She's very aloof and independent, and often goes unnoticed in her ridiculous several-sizes-too-large clothes. She is intelligent, but a terrible student, because rather then working in class she prefers to spend it shoegazing (and yes, she listens to shoegaze while she shoegazes) whilst listening to music on her ridiculously expensive hi-fi MP3 player and Beyerdynamic T1's. Her favourite musical genres are the blues, and bebop, but she listens to most musical genres and has a rather eclectic musical taste; she is also a talented guitarist and pianist."

"When not listening to her seemingly infinite repositories of music or playing a tune, Anna is likely gazing into the depths of her computer, absorbing the newest piece of media to catch her attention. She is a huge otaku, with her favourite anime being Samurai Champloo, Welcome to the NHK, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. She also enjoys film, manga, western comics, video games (vis a vis her favourite game is Final Fantasy VI) and a few television shows, and has rather pretentious art-housey tastes."

Okay, cool, good development but wouldn't it be more entertaining for the reader to discover that while reading the visual novel? So they can relate to her therefore being more engaged to the story? It's like being on a dating website rather than discovering the character by interacting.

I can understand it being more intreging if it went something like: "Anna is an aloof, independent, and intelligent native of Vienna. She is a musician and has a somewhat eccentric and varied taste in media." Brief and fascinating.

But it's not just her, it's the twins and Jeanne as well.

Best of luck.

Hunner

Back to top Go down

Re: The Character descriptions

Post by Waytfm on 2012-03-26, 00:20

A lot of it probably won't be mentioned in the final VN. Most of it really would only clutter the story anyways. It's just a small sneak preview; specific enough so we can learn a little about the characters and choose who we favor, but not enough to give away anything important that will actually be in the story. I like them just the way they are. I much prefer this way to a small, vague sentence. Ultimately, I just comes down to personal preference though. The devs can't please everyone... yet...

-Soseki

SemiPolish wrote:"WTF is Voldemort doing with a freezy pop in his nose?"
Waytfm

Location : Electric Ladyland (or Arkansas. Those are the same thing, right?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by khaos4ng31 on 2012-03-26, 00:53

It's for the purpose for the fans to create fan-fic, not all of it is relevant to the plot itself, take for example the origin of the character. Other than to provide some type of stereotype (German Dominatrix for Lena), this piece of info is rather ambiguous (however it could imply any historical traumas).

My opinion, don't take it as the truth.

This massive monstrosity mirrors an exact match of mischief and magnified melancholy.
This monster manifests me.
And I am the angel that comes from the middle, only to unwillingly spread khaos, as destiny has determined.
khaos4ng31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Worthington on 2012-03-26, 01:04

Yeah, a lot of complaints have been leveled at this. Most of the stuff included isn't relevant to the VN, but I think most of us realized we dun goof'd.

Worthington
Admin,
Writer

View user profile http://magnesiumninja.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokey on 2012-03-26, 01:23

Worthington may have said it best.

Before we even had set up the blog, we had several discussions on what would be allowed to be posted or not. Ultimately it was decided that something should be posted with their pictures, as long as it didn't ruin the game's plot. With this approach, we decided not to include their illnesses, because those are part of the plot.

Before each post, there is a review, to ensure that it's up to quality and that nothing is wrong before it's posted.

So, what went wrong with this? Well nothing really. Upon doing the previews we realized it was harder to actually describe them without somewhat hinting to their illnesses. So we had to take a different approach, by talking about what they like, while at the same time avoiding anything that may damage their routes.

In the end, we had to sacrifice one thing in order to preserve another. Does that mean you know a little bit more about them? Yeah. Does that mean that all things listed will come up in their routes? Not really.

Smokey
Admin
Editor
jak oph al hsrāds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by splitInfinitive on 2012-03-26, 03:25

Smokey wrote:In the end, we had to sacrifice one thing in order to preserve another. Does that mean you know a little bit more about them? Yeah. Does that mean that all things listed will come up in their routes? Not really.

I find the detail interesting; it lets me imagine them as people instead of just character archetypes. Then again, I have an understanding of the character development process and how most details like that don't wind up in the actual story. I could see how it might look different to someone else.
splitInfinitive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by imperial.standard on 2012-03-26, 03:55

splitInfinitive wrote:
I find the detail interesting; it lets me imagine them as people instead of just character archetypes. Then again, I have an understanding of the character development process and how most details like that don't wind up in the actual story.

*HIGH FIVE*

It makes your character three dimensional instead of grouping them into "Oh, she's a tsundere character" or "Oh, this one is the straight man".

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
imperial.standard
Admin
Artist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MDV on 2012-03-26, 03:56

I agree with you OP. Just realise the titledropping doesn't have anything to do with the actual story. I disagree with you that the twins blog post is full of bull like that. Just one title of a kiddy show is named, if people seriously think we're trying to pander to Spokoynoy nochi, malyshi's fans... No, I can't even believe that.

MDV
Admin
Medical Consultant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Solipsistic-MeatBag on 2012-03-26, 22:17

Yeah, the descriptions made most of the girls seem fairly shallow. I would assume (hope, rather) that this is simply done intentionally in order not to give the plot away. I could be wrong. I probably am.
imperial.standard wrote:
splitInfinitive wrote:
I find the detail interesting; it lets me imagine them as people instead of just character archetypes. Then again, I have an understanding of the character development process and how most details like that don't wind up in the actual story.

*HIGH FIVE*

It makes your character three dimensional instead of grouping them into "Oh, she's a tsundere character" or "Oh, this one is the straight man".
Agreed 1000 times over.
Solipsistic-MeatBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top